Financial Planning & Budgets

A Part of Finance



1. How is the base determined that is allocated to the Provost and Vice Chancellors?

The base is derived by adding the budgets in the budget book (which is reconciled to the University’s state budget) to any permanent changes approved through February less any “one time” items included in the budget book plus or minus permanent flexibility budget revisions through February.

2. Why is the budget I receive in July different than what I submitted to my Dean/Department Head/Provost/Vice Chancellor?

In addition to any changes made to your budget before it is submitted to Financial Planning & Budgets, our office must post any permanent budget transactions processed after the date the base is determined (typically after February) since these changes are continuing, but were not reflected in the allocated base.

3. Can budgets be moved from one fund to another?

Usually yes, if the fund is funded from the same source (e.g. state appropriations). There are specific rules for state funds, student fees and other fund types. The specific rules are covered in the staff workshop as well as the chart of Budget Transactions (.xlsx). If you cannot determine the answer to your question from these sources, please call one of us.

4. What are the basic rules for state account transfers?

If within one fund or between two funds within the same purpose, regular budget transfers can be made between the temporary wages and student wages budget pools; or between the supplies, purchases for resale, property plant & equipment, library books, purchased contract services, academic services, general travel, purchased services or other operating expense budet pools. These transfers may be processed on line. Other state account transfers require a budget flexibility revision.

5. I am out of budget, but need to purchase a critical item. What should I do?

Overdrafts are not allowed in any account. The University is required to spend within the limits set by the legislature. In addition, the legislature often mandates that the University revert a certain percentage of its budget each June 30. To meet these requirements, funds cannot have overdrafts. Therefore, other sources must be used to meet additional needs. If other departmental funds are unavailable, you will need to wait until the new budgets are available in July to purchase the item or borrow budget from another department.

6. When is a budget flexibility revision required?

A budget flexibility budget revision is required for a state account when budget is transferred between purposes, between salary and non-salary objects, and between different salary objects.

7. How do I request a Budget Flexibility transfer?

Budget flexibility transfers are only applicable to state accounts. Your Vice Chancellor or Provost must approve these transfers upon recommendation of the Dean or equivalent (for Academic Affairs Division) or Department Head (other divisions). Please use UNCGenie to process your budget flexibility request. If the request is for FTE only you will need to complete the excel Budget Flex Form (.xlsm).

8. What is position control and what is its purpose?

Position control is the management of position budgets to assure that subsidiary records, position by position, agree to the budgets authorized by the General Assembly for state funds and agree to the availability of resources to meet salary obligations, for other account types. Salary and related costs represent over 80% of the University’s budget.

9. How are encumbrances determined for positions?

Obligations for any salary to be paid on the Human Resources System (HRS) through June 30 are encumbered on your account.

10. How are “Revised Budgets” determined for positions?

The revised budget reflects the Original Budget adjusted for budget flexibility or other budget transfers.